Powerful Enough to Hunt Deer

Most anything goes as long as you keep it clean and civil!
Lighthorse
Years Open Carrying: 10+

Powerful Enough to Hunt Deer

Post by Lighthorse » 18 Feb 2016 10:17

You might not know it but I was Ted Nugent's Louisiana State Director for his United Sportsmen of American, we both have gone on to other things. I wrote for his magazine until it went out of print about many Hunting and Gun related subjects. One of the wildest things I've ever seen the Wild Man do is bring down a Cape Buffalo with a with 4 quick shots from a Glock 10mm. He made a gut shot with an arrow and they tracked it all day. The Nuge seldom makes a bad shot but it does happen. The Bull was down, as they approached it got back up and charged, that 10mm put it right back down.

I'm not a fan of the 9mm but if you need a little hand gun for concealment its the way to go. However when I deer hunt I like a 40 S&W Not as a main gun, I leave that to a rifle. Occasionally a really dumb deer walks right under my climbing deer stand closer than bow range. Seems it never happens while bow hunting for me. Never the less I will take an iron sighted handgun shot in such a situation, 180 grain Hornady hollow point works just fine. I keep it within 25 yards.

If you want to do this on a WMA in Louisiana you can. However you can't wear your gun locked and loaded until you get in the field. A loaded magazine must be kept separate until you step into the hunting area, just like a rifle. This is due to the time honored infamy of good old boys driving around shooting deer out a car window (Highly Illegal), and general safety.

Although its plane stupid but legal during a modern gun deer season any center fire handgun may be used to hunt deer in this state.
Being the highly talented diversified genius that I am, I trouble myself in my daily pursuits of multiple subjects to do, many times confused I do nothing at all. :roll:

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Powerful Enough to Hunt Deer

Post by herohog » 18 Feb 2016 10:45

If yer gonna hunt deer with a 9mm, please make it a 9mm WinMag (9x29) or a 9x23 Winchester (NOT Largo!)! While a standard 9x19 has good penetration and expansion with the right round out of the right barrel at the right range with the right shot placement, that's an awful lot to ask of a round and a shooter!
Speedy
AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) Secretary/Treasurer, CIO

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

ImageImageImageImage

Lighthorse

Post by Lighthorse » 18 Feb 2016 11:41

The accepted minimum for a handgun hunter is a 357 Magnum. I'm at 149 legal deer and have killed one with everything, mostly rifles but have killed 8 moose in Alaska with a M-29 44 magnum and many deer with a handgun. Now discounting all the hand cannons, a 40 at close range will work. You must consider this, I'm a competitive shooter not a carry because I need to.
Being the highly talented diversified genius that I am, I trouble myself in my daily pursuits of multiple subjects to do, many times confused I do nothing at all. :roll:

Wolfgang1952
League Member
League Member
Years Open Carrying: 7+

Post by Wolfgang1952 » 06 Aug 2016 23:18

Hell for the deer we have around here you could use a BB gun. “Sarcasm off” I used to use a Mini 14 in 5.56, took plenty of deer, one shot kills. Couple of years ago got into Ar’s in 5.56 still killing deer with one shot kills. Last year I up graded to a DPMS LR-308 / AR10A2 Carbine, still one shot kills Last season took one with my Colt 1911 using 230gr HP’s. That one took three shots to do the job. First round 308 hit high on back bone. Deer went down; left my rifle in stand, hop skipping across field to retrieve Dear. Got within between 100 and 125 feet from Deer, Deer jumps up and starts to run. Drew my 1911 took aim, first round hits base of right Antler, knocks Antler off. Now Dear has hole in its back and minus one Antler. Now Dear is even further away, took aim again with 1911, second shot entered the back of the head, end of story. Not quit, ended up feeding Dear to the Worms.

This is my BABY a home built DPMS LR-308 / AR10A2 Carbine.

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 06 Aug 2016 23:35

WTF is the muzzle orange?
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Wolfgang1952
League Member
League Member

Post by Wolfgang1952 » 07 Aug 2016 00:56

Ar15 Dust cup. just didn't take it off for picture. All my AR's have them and some other long gun have them if they will fit.
Wolf

Wolfgang1952
League Member
League Member

Post by Wolfgang1952 » 07 Aug 2016 01:00

Better

Wolf

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 07 Aug 2016 01:40

Thought it might be painted to mimic a toy and just couldn't see ya doing that...
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Wolfgang1952
League Member
League Member

Post by Wolfgang1952 » 07 Aug 2016 13:54

Nonononononooooooooooo, Id properly do it the other way.