Legal Diussions
Steve Raacke
League President
League President
Years Open Carrying: 5+

OCer Arrested by Opelousas PD, Lawyer Needed

Post by Steve Raacke » 20 May 2015 08:55

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... -opelousas
Open Carrier arrested by Opelousas PD. We knew OPD would try this. Arrest for OC and charge for CC violation.
Any Lawyers willing to help out?

lawdog
League Member
League Member
Years Open Carrying: 3+

Re: OCer Arrested by Opelousas PD, Lawyer Needed

Post by lawdog » 20 May 2015 22:31

Who is the attorney that represented the "Whole Foods" OCer?
Carry On!
(Free Men Bear Arms.)

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin
Years Open Carrying: 10+

Post by herohog » 20 May 2015 22:49

New Orleans attorney Owen Courreges who is on Facebook as "Owen Courreges". Good guy.
Speedy
AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) Secretary/Treasurer, CIO

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

ImageImageImageImage

lawdog
League Member
League Member

Post by lawdog » 20 May 2015 23:19

I would suggest an attorney who HAS been down this road before and been successful.
I believe Owen Courreges fits that bill.
Carry On!
(Free Men Bear Arms.)

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 20 May 2015 23:22

Owen was the lawyer in the Whole Foods/Bowser case.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Steve Raacke
League President
League President

Post by Steve Raacke » 24 May 2015 18:56

The problem is that Owen lives and works out of New Orleans. This took place in Opelousas, north of Lafayette. That's at least a 2 hour drive if not longer. Just Googled it. 138 miles one way. Drive time without traffic problems, 2 hours and 20 minutes. Owen is good but the OCer here needs to find a reputable Lafayette based lawyer.

lawdog
League Member
League Member

Post by lawdog » 24 May 2015 22:33

1.) If there is enough money a the end of the rainbow, he'll make the drive. But sure, Meche could find himself a capable lawyer in his region.

2.) I have already looked at how one files a complaint with the DOJ. I posted that on the Louisiana OC forum. Here it is again:
http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/do ... polmis.php
I am pretty sure Quinn Meche has to file that complaint himself. If not, I am going to file a complaint with DOJ over this incident (but I suspect it has to be Meche.)

But, in any event, I am not going to sit around and wait. I want to contact anybody and everybody that could possibly do any good. HELL, this guy was FALSELY ARRESTED!! for exercising a FUNDAMENTAL CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT! Unless you are getting beat or killed by the cops it doesn't get any worse than that.
Does anybody have media contacts? I am even thinking about contacting the ACLU. REMEMBER, this is NOT just a gun rights case. This is a 4th Amendment case (a false arrest is an "illegal seizure."). The ACLU may not like the 2nd amendment, but they love the 4th amendment.

WE HAVE TO FIGHT THIS ON ALL FRONTS.
Carry On!
(Free Men Bear Arms.)

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 24 May 2015 22:36

Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Steve Raacke
League President
League President

Post by Steve Raacke » 25 May 2015 16:49

Update,
He was at a movie theater. The theater was not posted. The manager asked him TWICE to take the gun out to his car. TWICE the OCer refused to follow the directions of the theater manager. The theater manager then called OPD.
Good article here- http://buzzpo.com/gun-rights-update-did ... is-rights/
From day one we have told people over and over, if an employee sees you carrying and tells you to leave or take your gun out, STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WALK OUT. If you are shopping, leave your cart in the middle of the isle and walk straight out to your car and drive away. If you are eating in a restaurant, get up, pay your bill and then leave. Apparently our OCer here didn't get that memo and chances are he is going to find himself with a trespassing charge on his record. Learn from his mistake. This is what we call a teaching moment.
Yes the illegal carry charge is BS and I hope he fights it and wins. Still the trespassing charge is going to sting.

lawdog
League Member
League Member

Post by lawdog » 26 May 2015 00:30

Yes, if he was asked to leave and didn't, then he broke the law; not Sec. 18-10, but he did break the law. The charge will probably be amended, and rightly so.
IF the update that Steve gives is accurate, then shame on you Mr. Meche for going onto Louisiana OC and NOT telling the WHOLE story. IF this "...were asked to leave..." story is true you DO NOT have a federal civil rights case and you are NOT going to find some lawyer to represent you for free because he/she won't be able to get a contingency fee off of a civil rights case victory BECAUSE there is NO civil rights case!!

You're on your own buddy. You have no idea how many people would have gone to bat for you. I certainly was going to do everything I could think of to bring attention to your plight. Here's some new advice for you: take the best plea deal you can get.

Your actions hurt the cause.

Steve--THANK YOU for the update; how did you find out?
Carry On!
(Free Men Bear Arms.)

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 26 May 2015 09:11

There was an article link that I found on Facebook that said that then I immediately called Mr. Meche and got the rest of the story. He can and SHOULD fight the "Illegal Concealed Carry" charge IMO but he is going to most probably eat the trespass charge.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Bradley

Post by Bradley » 27 Jun 2015 04:34

If he was told to be gone from the premises and refused, persistently, that would suggest a charge for remaining after being forbidden. La. R.S. 14:63.3. (Depending on other details there could be defenses, but if that were the whole story...)

If, however, he was asked to store the gun in the car, but was personally cleared to be on the premises, then I don't think he violated state law. Mr. Reed has the right of it. The statutes on trespass deal with forbidden persons, not forbidden objects.* Judges don't always read criminal statutes strictly, and I've seen this particular distinction blown off in state court. Still, I've also seen it work, so he may have a shot. If nothing else, it's fodder for a plea bargain.

He should get a good defense lawyer and see about fighting it.

*I know that a lot of people look at this as a matter of property rights, and come down, morally, on the side of the landowners doing it...but only in the context of firearms. Ask them whether it is okay to lock someone up for six months for bringing M&Ms into a theater with a "No Outside Food or Drink" sign, and they usually pull a 180. If that doesn't work, and you are on the internet, ask them if there should be criminal consequences for hacking someone's website and changing it...and then ask them if someone who creates a post in violation of forum rules should be subject to the same prosecution. It is my experience that as soon as soon as we're off the whipping boy that is personal armament, people start thinking that the landowner's Banhammer, despite legitimately bolstering requests for the waiver of all manner of rights, is not a multi-tool with a legislative function.
I.A.N.Y.L.
Do not take what I say as legal advice. I am fallible, and you should not be trusting my accuracy - on an internet forum no less - with your future. My posts may be taken as thoughts to investigate, ideas to research, a perspective to consider, but NEVER as legal advice. Consult an attorney of your own if you want to learn about the law and, most importantly, how it will apply to you.

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 27 Jun 2015 07:23

From what he told me, he was "asked to put his gun in the car." Unfortunately, that little bit of info came out after a few conversations and only when an article mentioned it and I attempted to get to the bottom of the issue. I do agree that asking you to remove property and remove yourself are not the same and a good lawyer is the order of the day. Unfortunately, this person decided that he couldn't afford a lawyer and even claimed he was returning money that had been donated to him. On top of that, he decided to represent himself.

I see bad (worse?) things in his future I'm afraid.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Bradley

Post by Bradley » 08 Jul 2015 13:45

"He who represents himself has a fool for a client."

It's unfortunate that he gave up; if the facts are what you were told they were, he could've afforded a lawyer, he just had to look in the right place. If by some miracle he manages to make it through a criminal case as a pro se and come out with a nolo contendere or less, he might still have a civil case. If anyone finds out the resolution, please keep us posted.
I.A.N.Y.L.
Do not take what I say as legal advice. I am fallible, and you should not be trusting my accuracy - on an internet forum no less - with your future. My posts may be taken as thoughts to investigate, ideas to research, a perspective to consider, but NEVER as legal advice. Consult an attorney of your own if you want to learn about the law and, most importantly, how it will apply to you.

lawdog
League Member
League Member

Post by lawdog » 29 Jan 2016 18:15

Any update on this? I hope Mr. Meche made out o.k.
(2guns)
lawdog
Carry On!
(Free Men Bear Arms.)

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 29 Jan 2016 18:38

I want to say he came out sorta OK but I can't put my hands on anything concrete at this time. Still digging in the pile. He was angry and wouldn't listen to good advice and slung a lot of anger our and my way so I backed off, gave him my best advice and wished him luck.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 29 Jan 2016 18:49

A dig through the archives produced this:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... ost2143020
Both charges dropped.
District attorney determined Opelousas Ordinance 18-10 DOSE NOT forbid open carry.
District attorney determined, BASED ON FACTS, that I WAS NOT remaining after forbidden.
There was a reason I didn't post everything and that is because I could not explain everything.
I was asked to put the gun in the car. I told the manager I would not be disarmed. He stated that if I did not put the gun in the car he would call the police. I demanded my money back so I could leave. He called the police. He did not include that part on the statement issued to the police.
There is more over on OCDO.org and when ya dig into the details it could have gone MUCH better had certian advice been heeded and misteakes not been made up front, during and after. The link above takes you to where Mr Meche Joined in the discussion over there.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Lighthorse

Post by Lighthorse » 08 Feb 2016 09:02

It is a matter of trust based on opinions. From my point of view people are now scared to go anywhere where large numbers of people congregate. I just don't go to the movies any more armed or not. I have dealt with Terrorism in Germany and like here but only worse you are an open target in a Liberal environment. Something I do before I go to an establishment open carry is to talk to the manager before hand. This opens or closes the door without an incident.
Being the highly talented diversified genius that I am, I trouble myself in my daily pursuits of multiple subjects to do, many times confused I do nothing at all. :roll: