Do have to register

Post about Pro-Gun lawyers you know of or lawyers to avoid!
Years Open Carrying: 0

Do have to register

Post by Mikey5959 » 18 Jun 2016 18:46

Do I have to register for the sheriff for open carry or can I just open carry

Site Admin
Site Admin
Years Open Carrying: 10+

Re: Do have to register

Post by herohog » 19 Jun 2016 08:32

No registration/notification is needed BUT you DO need to know the laws regarding where you can open carry so you don't get in trouble.

In Louisiana there is NO gun registration. No paperwork or background checks required on gun sales between people who reside in Louisiana, are not a "Prohibited person" (felon, Domestic violence, mental issues etc.) and are 18 or older and are not licensed gun dealers. You may have loaded guns in your house anywhere you please. It is HIGHLY recommended that they are not where children can get them and that you store them in a secure place when you are not at home. You may have a loaded gun in your car wherever you like. I wouldn't have one concealed on my person unless I had a Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) although in a plainly visible holster (Open Carry) IS legal in your vehicle.

Open Carry IS legal in Louisiana with several restrictions:

Open carry is barred in places where alcohol is served for on the property consumption, government buildings (in general), Federal buildings and, in some cases like the VA, on the property, Voting places and within 1,000 feet of a school. No guns allowed in a police station or jail and other places as well. I HIGHLY suggest that you read all of the info on our web site at If you decide to Openly Carry, we HIGHLY recommend get some training and that you memorize the phone number of the lawyer you will want to call should you ever need one. You will also want to carry in a good retention holster. A cheap nylon holster with a Velcro strap is NOT a good retention holster!

Only the Gun Free School Zone signs should have force of law in Louisiana. Cite -
No Gun signs posted by private businesses should have the same legal standing as the "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" signs you see posted. The police and DA seem to feel differently. If an employee or manager of that business informs you that you must leave, LEAVE. Failure to leave when told to do so can result in the police arresting you for trespass/failure to leave. The police are of the opinion that a sign is the same as being told. The law they cite ( is a Concealed carry law and does NOT mention signs at all.

RS 40:1379.3: (section) O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Notice: It specifically states that it applies to "...a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section..." and nowhere are signs mentioned. Lawyers and courts will need to resolve this one.

Please note that the police in a few areas of Louisiana appear NOT to be knowledgeable/don't care that Open Carry is legal and your chance of hassles IS higher there. New Orleans is BAD about this.

Having said all that, I have Open Carried for over 30 years now (on and off) in the Shreveport area without ANY bad experiences with the law. It all depends on how much you know, how you look, how you handle yourself and where you carry (some places WILL hassle you like New Orleans).

As to concealed carry, if you can afford it and can pass all the requirements, get one. They are nice to have. I have one. It was a pain to get due to my medical issues and the state requiring me to get medical sign off before I could get it and the fact that YEARS ago I was arrested for "disturbing the peace" even there is no longer any trace of that on my record, I had to get another state to notify Louisiana, on letterhead, that there was nothing against me on record. PS: My primary care doctor is the Veteran's Administration and the Psychiatrist treating my depression as an outpatient there signed off on my CHP so don't believe all the rumors out there. PPS: I have been released from outpatient Psych. care and am doing great.

Hope that this is helpful.
AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) Secretary/Treasurer, CIO

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

League Member
League Member
Years Open Carrying: 3+

Re: Do have to register

Post by lawdog » 03 Aug 2016 20:14

Mikey5959 wrote:Do I have to register for the sheriff for open carry or can I just open carry
Did somebody tell you that??
Carry On!
(Free Men Bear Arms.)