Healthy or Dying

A place to talk about most anything gun or gun rights related.
Wolfgang1952
League Member
League Member
Years Open Carrying: 7+

Healthy or Dying

Post by Wolfgang1952 » 06 Dec 2016 15:15

Is LOCAL healthy or are we on the way out, dying?
.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin
Years Open Carrying: 10+

Re: Healthy or Dying

Post by herohog » 07 Dec 2016 20:37

Good question. It isn't as healthy as it once was. People have steadily lost interest in helping. No one shows up for scheduled events or meetings at most of the places where they are held. Steve would beg for help when he would work a gun show and wind up working a whole weekend all alone. That is redickulous! I am staying fairly "busy" answering questions here at "HQ" but that's pretty much it. I've talked to Steve about LOCAL's future and I'm not sure at this point. If nothing else, I'd like to see it continue mainly as an informational site. Thoughts?
Speedy
AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"
Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL) Secretary/Treasurer, CIO

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

ImageImageImageImage

Wolfgang1952
League Member
League Member

Post by Wolfgang1952 » 08 Dec 2016 17:43

There’s five to six of us from the Florida Parishes chapter still meeting regularly. We meet for a couple of months in Slidell and then for a couple of months in Covington. Back and forth.

Wolf

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 10 Dec 2016 21:09

Y'all are the remaining holdout as far as we know guys...
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Wolfgang1952
League Member
League Member

Post by Wolfgang1952 » 11 Dec 2016 18:33

Ya we are the last. The five of us kind of like the get together. We wear meeting at IHOP in Slidell and Covington. We looked for someplace different. We found Dickey’s BBQ in Slidell next to Academy and across the street from IHOP. When meeting in Covington we been meeting at Chic-Fil-A. Starting in January we will be meeting in Covington.

Wolf

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member
Years Open Carrying: 1+

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 21 Jan 2017 09:10

Honestly, LOCAL is dying. Its not the fault of our members. Its the mission, OPEN CARRY, that is dying. Too many people, myself included, feel that openly carrying a sidearm in some public places is having a negative affect on our side of the civil rights movement. Prime example is the knuckle heads in Texas a few years ago, carrying AR15s around in public for the shock value. I understand that at that time in Texas long guns were the only option, but the way they militantly shoved it in everyone's face, took photos or video everywhere they went, and refused to acknowledge that their actions set Texas civil rights back a few years. There is a proper way to openly carry, long gun or hand gun, and that negative connotation from the Texas group, that the media happily ginned up, set us all back a few years civil rights wise. That is why I think people here in Louisiana are reluctant to join LOCAL because of the negative press it garners in a world of Bloomberg funded anti-civil rights groups (Everytown, et al).

Lets be honest here. Openly carrying a fire arm has only one positive advantage, like bars on a window it deters criminals. But from a tactical point of view it is not good. Plus it offends the low information voters that we are trying to convert.

So where do we go from here. I like the idea of keeping this site up as a resource/information for those who are interested. In order to get more people involved we would need to start a new organization, or just join another preexisting organization. Me personally, I want to start a firearms civil rights group that gets more involved in legislation, lobbing, etc. I have been scouring the web for pro 2nd amendment bills/laws in other states and have compiled a list of wonderful bills that need to be introduced in Louisiana. If we get into the political side of the 2A civil rights movement we would get better press and more people to join.

Let me know if this is something that sounds good, something we need to do.
Coleman
"Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle, my lovingkindness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the One in whom I take refuge, who subdues my people under me." (Psalm 144:1-2 NKJV)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 21 Jan 2017 09:42

Personally, I'm for reforming LOCAL into a Pro 2A group as a primary mission and still support OC but change the name/start a new name.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 21 Jan 2017 11:16

My only objection with LOCAL is the exclusion of all other forms of carry and firearm uses (hunting, sport shooting, etc). By limiting ourselves to OPEN carry we are fracturing the 2A movement at a time when the opposition is well funded, well organized, and unified in their goals. Pro 2A groups need to be the same. For example I personally haven't hunted in years, but I support and want the support from hunters. Keep LOCAL as it is, and leave the website up for those who need the legal resources about Constitutional Open Carry, but I think we should form a new grassroots organization that supports ALL forms of firearms ownership.

There are plenty of wonderful groups out there that are willing to help us start up....Virginia Citizens Defense League comes to mind. They are willing to help new organizations form by helping with by-laws and such.

At this point I don't have any suggestions for the new name, but it should be Pro-Civil Rights focused...because...after all.. the 2nd amendment is a Civil Right! LOUISIANA SECOND AMENDMENT LEAGUE (LSAL) sounds good!

Another plus for the new organization is that there is no monthly meetings or local chapters, it is a state wide organization. You will get better participation if people don't have to come to monthly meetings. Most of the other state organizations have a once a year dinner meeting to go over the year's victories and layout the next years goals. The primary way people get involved is through email blasts about bills that need support, reminding people to call, email, and/or write their representatives. This is a lot easier on people with busy lives. For example, Gun Owners of America email list has the TAKE ACTION hyperlink that brings you to a pre-made form letter for your representative, all the member has to do is sign it with their name and address and it is automatically emailed to the corresponding representatives based on where the member lives. This is so simple and easy that a ton of people are willing to take the 2 minutes to fill it out. Also you don't have to be a member to get the TAKE ACTION emails which opens it up to non-members. Of course we would have to remind people that hosting a website costs money and ask for yearly memberships and/or donations.

There is much to think about. Just my opinion.
Coleman
"Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle, my lovingkindness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the One in whom I take refuge, who subdues my people under me." (Psalm 144:1-2 NKJV)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 21 Jan 2017 11:27

Actually LOCAL doesn't oppose any other gun sports or gun rights, it just hasn't been our primary focus. We are Pro gun rights. PERIOD. We have been concentrating on Open Carry only but it appears that it's time for a change.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 21 Jan 2017 13:57

I understand that, I know LOCAL doesn't exclude or oppose other firearms segments on purpose or by charter, but our name specializes us to the OPEN carry segment, thereby unintentionally excluding other 2A groups.

We can have LOCAL and some other 2A group, both run by the same people, nothing wrong with that. Keep LOCAL for the purpose of educating the masses about Constitutional Open Carry. I thought that Louisiana was about to get real Constitutional Carry with HB4 submitted to the house in Dec 2016, but it looks like it died in chambers. So we will still have a few more years of half Constitutional Carry in the state and we can use the new 2A group and LOCAL to help push for full Constitutional Carry in Louisiana.

- Benjamin Franklin

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 21 Jan 2017 14:06

Like I said, I am not opposed to changing LOCAL's name and focus while still supporting and keeping up the information on Open Carry. In fact, I have already had discussions with our president about this very topic.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 21 Jan 2017 14:23

I guess changing the name would work, rather than starting a new organization.

:D Louisiana OMNI Carry Awareness League :D

Omni = one gun open carry, one gun concealed carry :D
Last edited by Conceal_Nothing on 21 Jan 2017 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

- Benjamin Franklin

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 21 Jan 2017 14:26

:D Louisiana Open or Concealed Awareness League :D

Although this one would not work until full Constitutional Carry is legalized in the state.

- Benjamin Franklin

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 21 Jan 2017 14:44

Louisiana Open and Constitutional Awareness League perhaps?
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 21 Jan 2017 14:47

I kinda like Omni Carry actually... It lets us keep the name and covers all kinds of carry. We just need to get the word out that the organization has widened its focus.
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 21 Jan 2017 18:07

But like I said, constitutional carry would have to pass before these name changes would work.

My vote is Louisiana Open or Concealed Awareness League. Same Logo, just have to change the "carry" part to "concealed" and add an "or" in there. Easy Peasey, Lemon Squeezie

- Benjamin Franklin

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 21 Jan 2017 18:27

Either would work actually. Open or Concealed is probably easier to understand though...
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 21 Jan 2017 19:00

"Open or Constitutional" is redundant. Constitutional Carry encompasses both open or concealed without government permission. So "Louisiana Open or Concealed Awareness League" makes more sense to me if you want to keep the same logo.

- Benjamin Franklin

herohog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by herohog » 21 Jan 2017 19:32

Agreed
Speedy

ImageImageImageImage

Steve Raacke
League President
League President
Years Open Carrying: 5+

Post by Steve Raacke » 12 Feb 2017 07:15

My 2 cents on the subject.

LOCAL started as a way to raise awareness of the right to openly bear arms in La. This was necessary because we had police officers, conceal carry instructors and others misinforming citizens. People were being told that once they get their conceal carry permit that it was illegal to open carry or that they should leave their permit at home if they were planning on open carrying. Or they were told that open carry was not legal in their area.
Though we were formed specifically to address the issues around Open Carry we have always had a well rounded attitude regarding all forms of carry and use of firearms. We have promoted firearms safety, pointed people toward pistol and long gun shooting competitions, advertised rifle/carbine classes and even encouraged people to obtain their CHP to have more carry options. We have attended Legislative meetings to speak up for or against a number of gun bills/laws.
So LOCAL has a solid history of working to support all forms of carry and supporting gun rights in general.
I don't feel a need to rename LOCAL so much as rebrand ourselves.
I have always used a simple "elevator speech" approach to introduce myself and LOCAL to people. It goes,

"I'm with LOCAL, a statewide gun rights group which is dedicated to supporting the right to bear arms in Louisiana."

I don't even mention Open Carry specifically. I talk about the right to Bear Arms, which we do when we open carry holstered pistols, when we conceal carry pistols or when we have our rifle slung over our shoulder.
LOCAL is an acronym just like Kentucky Fried Chicken is often just called KFC in advertising. Over the years I've moved away from starting out the conversation with Open Carry and just go at it from the overall right to carry angle. I point to our back issues of the LOCAL Newsletter where we had articles on a variety of gun related topics and announcements of classes from Women's self defense to long range precision rifle clinics.

As for forming an new group or changing the name entirely, I can point out that there are already several options already available for those wishing to support gun rights in La.
The La Shooting Association, LSA, http://louisianashooting.com/ , is the largest and most active gun rights group in the State, is the NRA affiliate club and is affiliated with the Civilian Marksmanship Program. They support the 4H shooting teams as well as have scholarships for students on shooting teams and it is LSA lobbyists who have been fighting for gun rights and against bad gun laws at the State Capital which have really made an impact. In fact, our bylaws discuss that should LOCAL fold out remaining funds and supplies would be donated to LSA. They hold a statewide meeting every year at the Cabelas in Gonzales. They have elected Congressmen and Senators as guests and talk about some behind the scenes work they are doing to strengthen gun rights. I usually attend those meetings as both a LSA member and a representative of LOCAL but will not be able to attend this year due to a conflicting appointment. (I have a Wound Care, Suture, Staple class that same day. I will be stitching up a pigs foot while they are meeting to talk gun rights.) I encourage all LOCAL members to join LSA and if possible to attend their annual meeting...
"The Annual Meeting of Members and the Elections of the Board of Directors will take place at Cabela's in Gonzales on Sunday, 05 March 2017 at 10:00 AM in the upstairs meeting space."

There are other groups that sprang up after we (LOCAL) became active.
One such example is the La Chapter of Gun Rights Across America, GRAA, which can be found on Facebook at- https://www.facebook.com/DefendLouisianaGunRights/ . They have attended rallies and spoken up at legislative sessions.

So with LSA and GRAA already active and doing a lot of good work I don't think it necessary to rename or form another group. My hope is to revitalize LOCAL and use it as a way to further gun rights, specifically the right to bear arms anyway a person feels is appropriate for a particular setting or venue. Maybe we bring back the newsletter on a bi-monthly basis if anyone would actually read it.
I have pretty much sat out the past year after getting burned out doing the gun shows and newsletters and other PR stuff. I stepped back and was lurking and would contact Speedy when issues came up. I mail out packets of LOCAL pamphlets when people request them (I mailed out a big brown envelope full this past week). I had a few health issues come up last year and have spent the past few months bouncing back from them. I got more involved in other "hobbies" such as being an officer in a ham radio club in my area.
I plan to step up and recommit to LOCAL this year. I'll post more on the forum instead of just lurking. I'll get some things together for the newsletter and see if it gets read by anyone. I AM NOT GOING TO ANYMORE GUN SHOWS!!! OH MY GOD THAT WAS TORTURE DEALING WITH THE PROMOTERS AND THE FUDDS ROAMING THE ISLES! Some of the most ignorant and anti-gun conversations I've ever had were at the LOCAL tables at gun shows. I lost brain cells and almost committed felonies against several morons. /rant

That's my 2 cents. Best deal in town.

Steve Raacke,
LOCAL President (aka absentee landlord)
"LOCAL, supporting your right to bear arms in Louisiana."

Conceal_Nothing
League Member
League Member

Post by Conceal_Nothing » 12 Feb 2017 07:57

I agree with joining other organizations. Personally I am a dues paying member of GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA (GOA), THE SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION (2AF), JEWS FOR THE PRESERVATION OF FIREARMS OWNERSHIP (JPFO), UNITED STATES CONCEALED CARRY ASSOCIATION (USCCA), LOCAL, and I'm a life member of the NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION (NRA). On a national level, I think the 2AF and GOA do more for our legal rights than the NRA, but he NRA has all the power in the legislature.

I like your idea of not even mentioning OPEN CARRY when describing our group. This does save us from having to rebrand or start a new club.

Honestly, I have no clue as to how to get more people involved in LOCAL. I think apathy is killing our country. People want to just go to work, come home and flop down in front of the TV and zone out. Until the civil right is under direct fire they don't care, it doesn't hurt them. So we need to figure out a way to get more people educated and involved. Its gonna be hard to do.

I hear you on the gun shows, that is why I quit going to them years ago. Idiots, all of them! But if you want to convert the masses you have to go where idiots congregate, so its a two edged sword. I don't know of any other place to reach the most gun owning morons in person than a Gun Show....only other way to reach them would be TV, but that is out of our budget. I am more than willing to go to the Gun Shows in my town of Slidell, but travel to other towns for shows is something I can't do. So maybe to keep you from getting burned out we need to get more of our members in the area of the gun show to get involved. Having to travel hours to a show is a deterrent for most, but if the show is in there area its easier to get them involved.

- Benjamin Franklin